lisacollins

Lisa Likes Books

The Clockwork Angel (Infernal Devices, Book 1)

Clockwork Angel - Cassandra Clare It was no big deal when I put Clockwork Angel on hold at my library. I had seen a lot of people who loved it and figured I’d read it too if it was so good. At the time I had no idea whatsoever that it was connected to the Mortal Instruments series. (I know, I know. I haven’t read it yet, but I’m working on it.) You may go ahead and color me happy, because I think this may be the beginning of a beautiful (but perhaps dangerous to some level) obsession.I know a lot of people are in the business of comparing the two series (The Infernal Devices and The Mortal Instruments) and judging on which they think is more interesting or better in general (usually mentioning how the author has grown). If the other books are as good as this one then I don’t see any reason to compare and contrast, because I loooved Clockwork Angel.Plainly, I started to read it just because I thought it to be culturally important. I never thought I would find it so interesting or enticing, pulling me in. I messed up my entire sleeping routine for this book, and have no one regrets about it thus far.I was surprised by how amazingly complex every single character was and how it never seemed like backstory was being thrown in my face. Things came naturally and I really appreciate that, especially because a lot of novels have problems with character development and backstory. It’s the mark of a masterful and very skilled writer when it appears easy.The story itself had me foolishly thinking I was smarter than the author. One of the points I was going to bring up was how it seemed all the most important plot points were the ones that were the easiest to predict… until I got closer to the end and realized the things I thought were so important were completely overshadowed by things of significantly higher importance that I didn’t anticipate in the slightest. I’m usually somewhat perceptive, so this was an absolutely wonderful surprise.There’s not much more I could have asked from this novel. It was mysterious when it needed to be and straightforward when called for. It was so in depth and by the time I read the last page I was hoping for the opportunity to read the next book, and I mean soon. I’m so excited to continue on with this series and The Mortal Instruments.