lisacollins

Lisa Likes Books

Unremembered

Unremembered - Reading Unremembered by Jessica Brody has brought to my attention how little I read science fiction. Honestly, why don’t I read more of it? Because if it’s anything like this book, I think I’m going to like the genre just fine. Speaking of science fiction, it was quite the surprise for me when I started getting deeper into Unremembered. I don’t know why, but I was convinced this was going to be a contemporary novel, so when they started talking about genetics and memory manipulation I was just like, “Woah, what?”.Unremembered stood out to me for one huge reason: it kept me on my toes. Every time I thought I knew everything there was a twist or some new element brought in. It sounds almost annoying, I know, but it was really very cool. It kept things exciting and the emotion flowing because Seraphina, after all, knew nothing more than the audience did. (Ah, the beauty of amnesiac characters!) Every piece of information was news to Sera and the person reading. It really makes the reader feel at one with the main character, like they’re going through an experience together.Sera was an interesting character to follow. I loved that she was an amnesiac but wasn’t portrayed as stupid even though there was a lot she didn’t know. She was still very intelligent, just uncultured. Example: If you were with her and called someone a “jackass” she would most likely assume you mean “donkey” because that’s what the dictionary says. (Then again, “a stupid person” is also in the definitions and Sera would definitely be smart enough to figure out that’s what you meant. Example fail. You get it.) Basically, Sera was something like a walking dictionary and calculator in human form—very, very intelligent but sort of out-of-the-know.This is my first time reading anything by Jessica Brody and I was thoroughly impressed with Unremembered. I don’t know how it would stand up with a science fiction buff (seeing as I don’t know much about the genre), but I thought it was wonderful and absolutely worth the read. With an interesting story and a huge cliffhanger, I’m definitely looking forward to the next installment in this series and reading more by Jessica Brody.